DoD Acquisition’s: Joint Capabilities Integration and Development Systems (JCIDS)
February 28, 2023 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
The Defense Acquisition System, or DAS, is both complex and essential to US national security. It is DOD’s plan to invest $1.8 trillion in current and future major defense acquisition programs, in order to procure the planes, ships, tanks, satellites, information technology, and other systems essential to the country’s national defense. The Defense Acquisition System represents DOD’s overarching framework to successfully manage all aspects–concepts, requirements, budgeting, research, development, engineering, production, program management, and contracting–of these major defense acquisition programs, while also complying with all applicable statutes and regulations. Likewise, government procurement law takes on additional importance and complexity in the context of the Defense Acquisition System. And like government procurements generally, there is always the concern of whether “great is the enemy of good,” and if the desire for a flawless, comprehensive approach precludes the delivery of what the nation’s armed forces need in a timely manner.
Specific Topics to Cover
What the difference between “Big A” acquisition and “Little a” acquisition?
How are “concepts” and “requirements” determined and developed?
When does an “acquisition” commence and who has “acquisition authority”?
What’s a “milestone” and a “milestone decision authority”?
How does DOD’s fiscal and budgeting process (PPBE) interface with DAS?
When do DOD Directive 5000.01/DOD Instruction 5000.02 apply?
What’s the role of Congress in the DAS process?
What are the alternatives to material capability development?
Specific Session Topics
Fourth Tuesday of the Month, 12:00 pm – 1:30 pm (ET)
- Jan 24 – Defense Acquisition System – The BIG Picture
- Feb 28 – Joint Capabilities Integration and Development Systems (JCIDS)
- Mar 28 – Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution (PPBE)
- Apr 25 – Program Vs. Contract Management
- May 23 – Mid-Tier Acquisitions
- Jun 27 – Urgent Capability Acquisitions
- Sep 26 – How Intelligence Affects Requirements
- Oct 24 – Current Major Defense Acquisitions Program (MDAP) – An Overview
- Nov 28 – Future MDAPs – On Overview