- This event has passed.
Event Series: Pathways to Government Contracting
Pathways to Government Contracting: Other Transaction Agreements
April 13 @ 2:00 pm - 3:30 pm$179.00
The unique regulatory landscape of Government Contracting makes it difficult for new or commercial businesses to enter the space. Fortunately, the Government has created several programs to assist companies looking to enter the Federal market. These opportunities certainly help these new-entrants. However, they also provide subcontracting opportunities for more traditional government contractors. Join our expert instructors as they explore how both new market entrants and existing contractors looking to subcontract may use these unique programs to create opportunities that help both classes of company.
Second Thursday of the Month
All Sessions 2:00-3:30pm
Jan 12 – Simplified Acquisition Procedures and Commercial Items
- Commercial Items and COTS
- The Simplified Acquisition Threshold
- The Micropurchase Threshold and the P-Card
Feb 9 – Small Business Eligibility
- What is a “small” business and why does it matter? NAICS Codes and Size Standards
- What are “set aside” contracts?
- Learn the eligibility requirements for 8(a), HUBZone, VOSB/SDVOSB and EDOWSB programs
- Do a deep dive into “unconditional” ownership and control issues affecting eligibility
- Learn about the issue of affiliation
- Identify most common eligibility pitfalls and how to avoid them
March 9 – SBIR Contracting
- What is the SBIR/STTR Program
- What are the Phases?
- Subcontracting with SBIR Phase II and III Recipients
April 13 – Other Transaction Agreements
- OTA Basics
- What is research and prototyping?
- What is a non-traditional contractor?
- Competition in award and sole-source follow-on contracts
- Consortium and non-consortium based OTAs
May 11 – JVs for Large and Small Contractors
- Who uses Teaming and Joint Ventures?
- What is Teaming, and how is it different than Subcontracting, or Joint Ventures?
- How to choose what partnering strategy (Teaming v. JV) is right for you.
- What does the Mentor Protégé program have to do with JVs? Plus a brief overview of the program.
- How does a JV become and stay eligible for small business (and specific types) of set aside contracts?
- An overview of recent regulatory changes in this area of law.
June 8 – IP in Government Contracting
- Preserving Rights to Inventions Conceived or First Reduced to Practice under Government Funded Contracts and Grants (Understanding Bayh-Dole)
- Strategies to Protecting Rights in IP Used, Modified or Improved with Government Funding
- Ownership and License Rights to Technical Data and Computer Software under the FAR/DFARS
- Licensing IP associated with Commercial Items
- Rights of Subcontractors to IP Produced Under the Subcontract
- Government Contractor Rights to Indemnification against Infringement Suits by Third Parties
July 13 Negotiating Subcontractor Terms and Conditions
- The Need for a Negotiated Agreement
- The Most Important Terms That Require Negotiation
- Mandatory vs. Permissive Flow-Downs
- Courted as a Small Business – Don’t Represent Until You Know the Affiliation Rules
- Update on Section 889 – A Possible Barrier to Entry at All Tiers